Being involved in a car accident is stressful. The shock of it will make it difficult to think clearly at a time when you need to make quick determinations and collect the information your insurance company will need.
Here are some quick tips of what to do following a claim?
Call Emergency Services
- In Ontario you must report an accident if there are injuries or if the damage to the vehicles involved appears to be more than $2,000.
- Call or go to a collision reporting centre within 24 hours if no one is injured and the damage to all vehicles appears to be less than $2,000
Record the Details
Your insurance company will need the following information to process your claim in a timely matter:
- Name, address and phone number of the other drivers involved
- Obtain the name of the insurance company and the policy number for each driver involved
- Take note of the license plate number for each vehicle involved
- If possible take pictures of the scene before the vehicles are moved and photos of the damage to each vehicle
After the Accident
- Contact your insurance broker. We can advise you of the options you have to get your car repaired, what your policy covers and the potential impact on your policy premiums
- If the claim occurs after hours you can always contact your insurance company directly on their 24/7 claim line